Monday, June 17, 2013

A Prayer for Greater Freedom by Jesus

Lord, My Rescuer and Liberator, Set Me Free!

Bring me out of prison, that I may give thanks to your name!
Psalm 142:7

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Galatians 5:1

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:86

The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners. Luke 4:18

Jesus, great Lord and Liberator, when King David prayed for freedom from his prison, he wasn’t behind iron bars; he was hiding in a cave. It’s obvious he felt pursued, trapped, and alone. It’s also obvious he enjoyed great freedom to own his desperation and abandon himself to you. I begin today doing the same.

You’ve already set me free from many slavish imprisonments: the fear of dying, for you robbed the grave of its victory through your resurrection; the fear of judgment, for you were condemned in my place upon the cross; the tyranny of false gospels, for it’s your obedience and righteousness which make me acceptable to God; the myth of autonomy, for you alone are the sovereign Lord and the King of Kings. When I consider these liberties, why would I doubt your ability or willingness to set me free from other imprisonments?

Jesus, set me free from vain regrets—those haunting memories of what could have been and what should have been. I want to learn from the past, not be enslaved to the past. Your name is Redeemer. Set me free from the lingering fear of incompetency. I still feel insecure and underequipped in some important areas of life, mostly relational. I long to be more present, spontaneous and completely at ease in the presence of everyone. Be big in my life, Jesus, that people may assume the right size. Free me from the power of rejection and adulation.

Set me free from the power of old wounds. I’m a victim, but that’s not my identity. Some things will be fully healed only by your second coming. Let me be okay with that, even as I trust you to use my pain for the benefit of others.

Jesus, grant me greater freedom to repent quickly, apologize sincerely, listen deeply, laugh louder, linger longer and love those who don’t know you. Free me to accept myself and others, just as we are, not as we should be. Help me die to any other agenda than the one you have for me in the gospel. The more freedom you give me, the more fully I will seek to praise your name. So very Amen I pray, in your merciful and mighty name.

by Scotty Smith who served Christ Community Church in Franklin Tennessee as its founding pastor and  senior pastor for its first twenty years and has recently assumed the new title of Pastor for Preaching, Teaching and Worship,



No comments:

Post a Comment